Our beautiful barge “Vriendschap” (Dutch for “friendship”) is for sale.
She was built in 1889 and remained in the same family throughout her working life. She was used as a working boat in the shallow coastal waters around Holland throughout the 20th century (including during the Second World War), until she was brought to the UK to be converted to a houseboat on the Thames. This conversion was partially carried out when we took her own to create a community events and co-housing space. The work to create this space was continuing well, but we sadly lost our mooring on Barking Creek, so the project has ended and we are selling the boat.
Vriendschap is vast and there is much to describe, so if you are interested a viewing is recommended. To summarise the spaces as best we can:
- At the back is a large wheelhouse.
- Next to this is the original boatman’s kitchen and, down some steps, the lounge.
- Going into the hold of the boat, there is a large events space, top lit by skylights.
- Further down the hold there are seven bedrooms (which have their own entrance).
- At the end of the hold there is a kitchen/lounge space for the co-housing.
- At the very front of the boat is the original boatman’s cabin.
Most services need to be installed. We have installed a high-spec solar system, which can be included in the sale at cost price. There is a water tank and pump, which is connected to the various tap points. A lot of the work of conversion has been done, but the size of the boat means that there is still a lot to do. For the right person or organisation, Vriendschap represents an amazing opportunity to acquire a huge and historic boat with lots of potential uses.
The boat is currently at the Royal Docks, but the purchaser is likely to need to find their own mooring.
|Length over all:||50m|