St Oysths, nr Clacton Essex UK
|Website:||Open website in new window|
At 42ft, Cygnet is a half sized wooden sailing barge. After several years of continuous sail cruising, she has been bought into a Barge Boatyard in North Essex. Her present owner has decided to sell her, the hold has ben cleared out , the engine has been removed, she's now presented as a blank canvas for a refit / rebuild......A new rudder has been made and is to be re-fitted. New leeboards are under construction and there is a shipwright commissioned for a new mast.
Built in 1881 by G H Curel at Frindsbury near Strood,
In 1988 she was sold to her current owner, who used her as a private yacht based at Snape Maltings, Suffolk.
In 2005 she was reverted back to tiller steering and had her mizzen stepped on rudder post.
She is a piece of Maritime history, A National Historic vessel. She would make a unique home afloat........If you have the stamina, the time, the money and skill to give her a buoyant future.....
|Condition:||Decommissioned, under refit|
|Vessel type:||An historic ex-cargo carrying vessel|
|Builder:||GH Curel, Strood Kent|
|Model:||Half sized Barge. Spritsail rig.|
|Fit Out:||Empty hull Ready for refitting out by new owners.|
|Engine model:||Perkins ( removed May 2023 )|
|Length over all:||12.80m|
|Length of deck:||12m|
|Length at waterline:||12m|
|Draft, keel down:||1.65m|
An empty hold area. blank canvas... 4ft height from the keelson to the hath boards with green tarpaulin cover, baton and wedged down. This covers over an open companionway entrance to the hold.
Aft is very basic Skippers cabin with V shaped bench berths and stowage cupboards.
CYGNET is a sailing barge with a carvel built wooden hull, flat bottomed, wooden decks, spars, leeboards and rudder, bowsprit .
A deck stepped Main mast ( a new one is required.) Her mizzen mast is mounted on the tiller.
Engine removed and the hold is now gutted. Ready for a refit.
Her first owner was Walter Wrinch, a farmer of Ewarton, Suffolk and CYGNET was used to carry farm produce to Ipswich, Felixstowe etc and remained in family ownership until 1945.
1945 and 1955 she was owned by E Mumford who removed her sailing gear, installed 2 petrol engines and used her for loading cockle shells at Foulness, Essex for sale as chicken grit. Later owners were J Studd of Leigh on Sea and Mr Payne of Queenborough and she was employed as a supply vessel to oil tankers.
In 1960 she was sold to Christopher Rydd,
Main anchor, manual anchor winch.
A Tiller/ Rudder.
A Perkins, 65bhp, 1980 has been removed.
Traditional Spritsail Barge rig, tan canvas sails.
She carried a top mast and a bowsprit.
Disclaimer: The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice
Note: Indicated location is approximate general area only.